The Peking University (PKU) - IIASA Postdoctoral Program is open to applicants of all nationalities and is aimed at training highly qualified early-career postdoctoral researchers to carry out research in fields of mutual interest at both PKU and IIASA, which include but are not limited to advanced methodology, technological, economic, and environmental challenges including pollution and risk analysis, energy, ecology, and ecosystems management, and natural resources including water.
The exact time and sequence to be spent at both institutions shall be discussed and decided between the fellow and their host supervisors at both PKU and IIASA.
The fellows will gain first-hand experience in applying systems analysis to real-world problems and issues. The fellows will have access to a network of international collaborators, many of them with highly successful careers in their own specialized scientific areas, which can help in boosting future career prospects.
1) Candidates are required to develop and submit a research proposal that interfaces their own research interests with the research agenda of one of the various activities pursued at IIASA.
IIASA embarked on a new strategy at the start of 2021 including a new structure of research programs and research groups. We are working to reflect this new structure on the IIASA website which currently shows IIASA research programs for 2016 to 2020.
Please explore the research areas currently present on the IIASA website to identify areas of possible research themes/interests that would fit into your developing research proposals. We encourage applicants to identify and reach out to IIASA researchers to discuss their proposals and identify potential supervisors early on in the process.
We suggest to look at the application form, frame the proposed according to the questions there, and then send an introductory e-mail. This is vital, not only to discuss research ideas and ascertain their relevance to IIASA but also to ensure more realistic research plans and expectations on the part of both IIASA and the applicant.
2) Each applicant must identify at least one faculty member/supervisor from each institution who agrees to serve as his/her host supervisor.
3) Candidates should have held their PhD for less than five years at the application deadline. However, eligibility is extended under the following circumstances.
Due to the requirements of the Chinese National Postdoctoral Affairs Management Committee, candidates over the age of 35 years will not be considered and applicants holding tenure or in tenure-track faculty positions are not eligible.
4) IIASA does not do lab-type research and therefore has no labs. The IIASA postdoctoral fellowship requires you to be present at IIASA; please do not apply if you need to stay away from the institute for you research, or expect IIASA to fund field research.
5) Applicants must spend their first year at PKU and second year at IIASA
6) Before applying please also have a look at our postdoctoral fellowship guidelines.
7) IIASA selection criteria:
Quality of the research
Novelty of the research
Applicants are requested to submit their application document as one PDF file by email simultaneously to the following four coordinators:
Mr. Fan Deshang (PKU General and Scientific Queries)
Director of Postdoctoral Affairs Office
Peking University (PKU)
Ms. Xu Qian (PKU General Queries)
Peking University (PKU)
Ms. Aleksandra Cofala (IIASA General Queries)
Last edited: 10 May 2021
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
Schlossplatz 1, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria
Phone: (+43 2236) 807 0 Fax:(+43 2236) 71 313